2014-11-05


Suzy Duffy is the author of Lincoln Ladies

Summary: Kate Kavanagh is happy raising her daughter and focusing on work, but when the girl moves to New York for a fantastic job and ends up moving in with her philandering father, things get complicated. Her best friend, Madeline Stein, has been a career girl all her life. As a single mom, her job defines her, so when she loses it, Maddy needs to find something or someone else to make her forties fun. Portia Kavanagh hits New York with a bang, but she’s so hungry for adventure she bites off more of the Big Apple than planned. Portia retreats to what she thinks is the sanctuary of her father’s home and soon discovers she’s not the only one in the family with an overactive appetite. Kate and Maddy find themselves leaving their lovely hometown of Lincoln, outside Boston, for the fertile and romantic hills of Tuscany. However, blue skies, rich wine, and charming Italians bring the women a whole new world that they have to maneuver with the grace and style of a Lincoln Lady. Portia’s high-octane life in Manhattan comes at a price, too. Out of the millions of men she could have, she chooses the only one she’s meant to avoid. Her quandary: Has she made a mistake of epic proportions or found the one in a million? This is a story of three fantastic women on a journey of self-discovery. With more ups and downs than a Florentine fairground, the ladies survive love, loss, and fresh pasta by laughing at life and using a doggie bag. There are lots of thrills and spills along the way, but in the end it’s all about friendship, attitude, and walking off that fabulous food. Come on an adventure and enjoy the ride with the lovely Lincoln Ladies.

Release Date: October 30 , 2014
ISBN e-book:   978-1-61213-274-7
Available from: AmazonKobo, Barnes and Noble, and TWCS PH

In your bio, I see you've had books translated into Norwegian and German. How does that experience compare? Do you translate your own books?

“Wunderbar!” I hooted when my fabulous Agent, Sheila Crowley,   told me she’d secured a lucrative two book deal with Random House (http://www.randomhouse.de/blanvalet/). I was so excited and was already working out my granny/babysitting roster when she broke it to me that I wouldn’t need to go to Germany because I didn’t speak German.  There would be no radio interviews with gorgeous blond-haired, blue eyed DJs and we’d be skipping the luxury hotels and lovely German food. I put away my English-German dictionary and headed back to my computer…
I never spoke with anyone in Germany and the publishing house had the work translated without any input from me. If nuances were changed and plots altered, ultimately it was not my business.

By selling the rights, I relinquished control and I was perfectly happy to do that, just to see the books translated. To be honest, translators in foreign publishing houses stick pretty much to the script. They’re not interested in changing the story – just translating it.

Last year, the fabulous Lyndsey Blessing at Inkwell got me a publishing deal with the Norwegian publishing house Cappelen Damm (http://www.cappelendamm.no/).  This time I did have a contact who became quite a good email friend.  I wasn’t naive enough to ask about any possible tours although I still fancied the idea of being interviewed by a gorgeous blond-haired, blue eyed DJ – this time of the Nordic variety. (Have you seen the trailers for Vikings – seriously?!)  The Norwegian book cover is absolutely lovely – very different form the US cover but I still love it.  I’ve had a few emails from Norway but thankfully they mailed me in English because my Norwegian is about as good as my German. Nonexistent.

I’m thrilled to see my work move out into foreign countries and get translated into other languages. The reality however, is I’m still at my desk typing away.  If you have similar aspirations, get to work but remember being a writer means you’re usually writing – not jet setting around the globe, being wined and dined and interviewed by blonde-haired, blue eyed …. Well, you know. I hope you enjoy reading my books as much as I love writing them. Get connected through any of these links.

Lots of love,

- Suzy (www.SuzyDuffyBooks.com)

Thank you, Suzy!

Suzy Duffy is an international and #1 best-selling author. She writes laugh-out-loud, life-affirming stories about women from five to ninety-five. (Sometimes she writes about men, too, but only for comedic purposes, and pets—if they’re funny.)  Her books have won numerous awards and critical acclaim. They’ve been published in Norwegian and German, and she gives 10% of her royalties to www.FOBH.org Her New England trilogy includes: Wellesley Wives – September 2012Newton Neighbors – September 2013 Lincoln Ladies – September 2014 Praise for Duffy: “Five Star rating...An all-American heart-warming romantic comedy.” “Suzy Duffy...I had wondered who would be filling Maeve Binchy’s shoes...EXCELLENT...Highly Recommended.” “Duffy isn’t just a good writer, she’s a darn good storyteller, too—a rare combination.”Suzy is Irish and currently lives in Boston with her husband, five children, and one dog. She was recently a guest speaker at the Sydney Writers Festival in Australia. She loves connecting with readers, book clubs, and writer’s events.

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Twitter!